12/9/11

Dear Family of Mary


Mary TV Reflection
December 9, 2011
Saint Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin

Dear Family of Mary!

I love Saint Juan Diego. Everything about his life speaks of the little way. He was a small one, someone who would be overlooked by the "powers that be". He lived a hard and simple life, farming and working with his hands. His people had been subjugated by the Aztecs, and so they were badly used. He welcomed the Franciscans who came with the Spanish conquest, being baptized quite soon after they arrived. He saw the beauty of Christ, and went to Mass when he could, walking 15 miles one way.

It was on one of those 15 mile treks that Our Lady appeared to him. He knew he was nobody. And so he was sure she had made a mistake. But Our Lady persisted, and she sent Saint Juan Diego to the Bishop with her request. The Bishop wisely asked for confirmation of Saint Juan Diego's story, and that is how we have the tilma! But what I love the most are the words Our Lady said to St. Juan Diego on the day of the miracle when he was trying to evade her. He had found out that his uncle was ill, and so he wanted to go assist him. But Our Lady cut him off at the pass and said:

"After hearing Juan Diego's chat, the Most Holy Virgin answered: "Hear me and understand well, my son the least, that nothing should frighten or grieve you. Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who am your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything. Do not be afflicted by the illness of your uncle, who will not die now of it. be assured that he is now cured." (And then his uncle was cured, as it was  later  learned.)" (  http://www.sancta.org/nican.html )

"Am I not here who am you Mother?" I just love it! I think that Our Lady is the same kind of mother for us today in Medjugorje. Listen to this message:

*"Dear children! Today also I invite you to prayer, so that through prayer you come still nearer to God. I am with you and I desire to lead you on the path to salvation that Jesus gives you. From day to day, I am nearer to you although you are not aware of it and you do not want to admit that you are only linked to me in a small way with your few prayers. When trials and problems arise, you say, "O God! O Mother! Where are you?" As for me, I only wait for your "Yes" to present to Jesus for Him to fill you with His grace. That is why, once more, please accept my call and start to pray in a new way until prayer becomes joy to you. Then you will discover that God is all-powerful in your daily life. I am with you and I am waiting for you. Thank you for having responded to my call." (May 25, 1992)

Our Lady waited for Saint Juan Diego on the hill at Tepeyac. She waits for us on the hills of Medjugorje. She waits with her love, her protection, her care, and her call. She wants to help us, and she wants us to become a help to her other children. Saint Juan Diego presented the flowers to the Bishop, and Our Lady left her image on his tilma, an image that to this day is converting thousands of people. We go to Medjugorje and Our Lady imprints her image on our hearts, and we then come home carrying her loving image to our families and friends. If we remain faithful to her, thousands will be converted through our lives lived in her image.

In Jesus, Mary and Joseph!
Cathy Nolan
(c)Mary TV 2011

No comments: